A survey by the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA) shows that Equity Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Credit Bank are the most customer friendly banks in Kenya overall. Among the metrics used to survey the 6,101 respondents were:
- Customer experience
- Institution’s responsiveness
- Best digital experience
Tier I top banks
- Equity Bank
- Diamond Trust Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
Tier II top banks
- Bank of Africa
- National Bank of Kenya
- Family Bank
Tier III top banks
- Credit Bank
- Gulf African Bank
- Sidian Bank
This is an indication that customer-centricity and satisfaction are important to the client irrespective of institution size.
Other emerging issues from the report
- Most Kenyans prefer calling customer contact centres to have their issues resolved.
- Over 80.5 percent of respondents prefer human interaction to software interaction during such calls.
- Most respondents are happy with how banks are handling their issues, showing a positive customer-centric approach.
- Over 49 percent of the respondents prefer mobile banking channels.
- 15 percent prefer to deal with internet banking.
- 5 percent prefer going to the ATM.
The preference of using digital platforms has been enhanced by the tech-savvy younger generation aged between 26 – 35 years thus a challenge for banks to build platforms that will appeal to this bankable generation.