Teachers Service Commission is the sole body mandated by law to register teachers for the government. Once you have the qualifications as spelt out by the government, you have to register with the TSC. You will do this online on the official website as TSC does not accept paper applications. However, that does not mean that only teachers registered by TSC teach in Kenyan schools. This is how to apply for TSC number.
Verify you have documents required for TSC number application
You must have soft copies of the following documents for you to apply for a TSC number. Either use a very good phone camera to take pictures or scan the documents. Consider converting the pictures to light PDF versions.
- Certified copies of academic and professional certificates. (These include your KCSE certificate since how you performed in your KCSE in particular subjects affects your application as a secondary school teacher.)
- National ID Card
- Passport size photo
- KRA PIN certificate
- Bank slip (TSC charges KES 1,055 for registration. You should therefore have a slip showing you have paid this money.)
- Certificate of good conduct. Read how you can get a Certificate of good conduct here.
- GP69 form
There are two options for paying the registration fee:
- The TSC Account Number is National Bank of Kenya Ltd, Harambee Avenue branch, Account Name: TSC-Secretariat Account Number: 01001005707400
- Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625 as shown below.
How to register for TSC number
Once armed with the above documents in soft copy,
- Log onto the www.tsc.go.ke website and hover your mouse over Online Services.
- Select and click on Teachers online services. This will open a new tab.
- Go to the new tab and click on New Teacher Registration – Citizen
- Once here, enter your ID number and Surname at the bottom of the page and begin the application process.
TSC processing for your application takes 30 days. You should therefore check the website regularly to see if your application was successful. If not, follow up with the TSC to ascertain reasons. The direct line for TSC Teacher Registration Call 020-2892351.