Simple steps to clear cookies and cache on browsers: chrome, mozilla and edge
This article details how to clear cookies and cache in almost all browsers. Cookies are text files with small pieces of data such as a username and password, or data of websites you have already visited on your computer. They help websites to remember you and your preferences.
Clear cookies and cache on all browsers
Browsers store cookies and cache. Cache is a downloaded part of websites you already visited, so that the next time you visit it loads faster with less data. However, sometimes these can cause problems when trying to log into password protected websites. To solve the issue, you should clear cookies and cache.
Steps to clear cookies in Chrome browser
- Click on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser. You will see a number of options.
- Click on Settings which is the third last option. This will take you to a window with several other options.
- Scroll down until you reach Privacy and Security. You will see several items such as Clear browsing data, Cookies and other site data, Security…
- Click on Clear browsing data, which is the first option.
- Select Basic
- Under Time range select All time
- Select all three options presented (most of the time, they are already checked by default). They are Browsing history; Cookies and site data; Cached images and files
- Click on Clear data
- Select Advanced
- Under Time range , select All time
- Make sure to to select and check these items: Browsing history; Download history; Cookies and other site data; Cached images and files
- Click on Clear data
Steps to clear cookies in Edge browser
- Click on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser.
- Select and click on Settings. This takes you to a window with two sections: Settings on the left and Your profile on the right side.
- Under the Settings side, select and click on Cookies and site permissions.
- This will reveal a window titled Cookies and data stored on the right side. Click on Manage and delete cookies and site data, which is the first option.
- On the new page, the fourth item is See all cookies and site data. Click on it.
- You will now see all the cookies and site data stored on your browser. On the top left side, there are two options: Remove all and Remove third-party cookies.
- Click on any of the two options. You will receive a warning about being logged out of some websites. It only means you will have to log into the websites again, but your browser will be fresh without any data. Press Clear all.
Steps to clear cookies on Mozilla Firefox browser
- Click on the three lines at the top right corner of the browser.
- Select and click on Settings. A window with two sections on the left and on the right opens. Mozilla Firefox has very few items compared to Edge and Chrome, so it is easy.
- Select and click on Privacy and Security. On the right hand side, you should see the page: Browser Privacy.
- Scroll down the Browser privacy page until you see Cookies and site data.
- Click on the Clear data button.
- This one is pretty straight forward. Make sure you check/select the boxes against Cookies and site data and Cached web content.
- Press on Clear.